Skip to main content

Dear Martese Johnson, Honor Students and Fake IDs

My heart ached upon hearing of the brutal beating of a young African American college student.  This morning my youngest son suddenly entered my room and a photo of a bruised, bloodied Martese Johnson being arrested flashed on the tv screen. 

 



"Mommy, what happened?  Is he dead?" asked my son.

"No", I replied racing to find the remote as if my child hadn't seen what he just saw.  "Mr. Johnson received ten stitches" the news reporter continued...
"Mommy, what happened" my son asked again clearly shocked.

"I don't know baby" I responded.  

Our silence only broken by the cell phone alarm signaling it was time to begin our morning commute.

I was still trying to grasp what happened to Martese.  News of his arrest lit up social media like a wildfire that St. Patrick's eve.  Tweets racing up and down my timeline.  Videos of Alcohol Beverage Control officers savagely pounding Martese's face to the ground over and over as he screamed in disbelief "What the..."  Pictures of a stitched up booking photo of Martese Johnson juxtaposed alongside photos of a studious, refined Martese on every channel.   
     
The story as I understand is Martese, a 20-year old student at the University of Virginia, was celebrating St. Patrick's Day with some friends a local pub.  Johnson allegedly had a fake ID and was being arrested by an officer with the Alcohol and Beverage Control.  During the arrest, Johnson became agitated and other officers were called in to assist.  In their efforts to subdue the inebriated Johnson, the officers force him to the ground and Johnson sustained several cuts to his face.

I remember being 20.  
I remember being 20 in college.
I remember being 20 in college with a fake ID.

I never remember seeing anyone being arrested for having a fake ID.  Yes, he broke the law by being in possession of a fake ID and entering a bar but was his punishment worthy of the crime.  It's been a while since I used a fake ID but I clearly remember if you were caught - and that was part of the thrill - at worst the bartender confiscated the fake ID and some burly bouncer put you out the bar.  That was it.  No cops. No arrests.  No blood.  Please understand I am by no means advocating the use of a fake ID.  However, I'm unable to find any justification for the arresting officers handling of the situation.  

We have got to stop fearing young African American males.  Yeah, I said it.  Let's be real here the young man was a Black man and regardless of his academic achievements and assimilation into college life...he was Black.

Ironic isn't it, the same society on fleek, "turnt up" and "tossing up" to the obscenity-laced lyrics of multi-millionaire rappers draped with jewels, pants dropped below their waists is the same society fearing young, African American males simply because they are young, African American males.  Oh yeah, it's okay *in my Suburban Mom voice* as long its on our TV screen, in a video or bumping in our SUVs once we've dropped the kids off at school but in our face, in our neighborhood, in the establishments we frequent, Heaven forbid.  

My reality is this -->The mommy in me realized years ago there will come a day when my precious sons will not be seen as the gentlemen I'm raising them to be but feared for no other reason than the color of their skin.  

Martese Johnson I am so sorry this happened to you. I am raising my sons to succeed academically so they too may attend the college of their choice.  Hoping they, like you, will actively engage in the college experience and enjoy it to the fullest.  Fake IDs at 20 and all.  

Martese, you are in my thoughts and prayers.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta